Curries vary across India. They are made from different ingredients – the most common chicken, eggs, mutton, fish, prawns and also vegetables. Generally curry means sauce in south India. They are made using a combination of yogurt and also sometimes coconut milk. They are served either wet or dry.
Items required for making the curry:
- Cubed pieces of mutton – 500 grams
- Chop 5 onions
- Make paste of ginger and garlic in one cup of water
- Now the whole spices – half a teaspoon chilli powder; 1 teaspoon green chili paste, 1 tablespoon coriander powder; half teaspoon turmeric powder; half a cup tomato puree
- You should also have 2 cups – yogurt
- 8 black peppercorns and 8 cloves
- 1 tsp. – cumin seeds; 1 cup of fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- Half a cup of oil and
- Salt to taste
Cooking mutton curry:
- First the cubes of the meat have to be flattened
- Now mix the flattened cubes in yogurt using salt, turmeric, chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Now arrange half the onions in a pressure cooker at the bottom
- Next you need to arrange the meat pieces along with yogurt mixture on top of the onions
- Now sprinkle the ginger garlic paste over the meat and also lay the rest of the onions and add the whole spices
- Now add 2 cups of hot water and pressure cooker it until is it done
- Remove from the pressure cooker and cook till gravy is thick and then add tomato puree along with the oil and sauté till oil separates
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.