Dum Aloo is a famous dish from Kashmiri cuisine. Here the main ingredients are potatoes and the thing to be noted is that baby potatoes are used for this dish. This is a popular recipe which is prepared all across and India and it has also earned accolades across the world. The ingredients used are simple but the taste is brilliant. You just need to cook it in the right manner.
Potatoes small – you can 10 to 15 nos. as per your requirement.
Mustard oil – 3 table spoon – most important ingredient
Salt as per your taste
Tomato puree – preferably 2 table spoon or as per your requirement.
One large onion – thinly sliced so as to fry them
- Half a teaspoon of sugar as per requirement
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 cashewnuts
- Half teaspoon of turmeric
- Half teaspoon of chilli powder
- Garam masala – half a teaspoon (easily available in the market)
How to prepare the dish?
- Heat the oil thoroughly in a kadhai
- Fry the sliced onions until they are golden brown. Now keep them aside.
- Next fry the baby potatoes until they are brown.
- Now again heat the oil thoroughly.
- Grind the fried onions and garlic to a fine paste. Sauté them in the heated oil along with the spices – turmeric, chilli powder, salt, sugar and garam masala.
- Sauté it until the oil leaves the sides of the gravy.
- Add tomato puree and then the potatoes with enough water.
- Lastly add the cashewnut paste and simmer and serve hot.