Dosa Sambhar Recipe
One of the most famous South Indian recipes is Dosa and Sāmbhar which is popular for its crisp and distinctive taste. This main course meal is available at roadsides and in restaurants. It is also been sold on streets as a very popular street food. Dosa and Sāmbhar are one of the best combinations of Indian food that can be eaten together.
For dosa we need:
- Rice, about 1 cup
- Parboiled rice, about 1 cup
- Split black gram, about ¼ cup
- Fenugreek seeds, about ½ teaspoon
- Soda, around ½ teaspoon
- Curd, around ½ cup
- Clarified butter, around 10 to 12 teaspoons
- Some water
For Sāmbhar, we need:
- Some tamarind
- Sāmbhar powder, around 2 tablespoons
- Around 3 onions
- Around 2 tomatoes
- Some fresh coriander leaves
- Around 10 garlic cloves
- Some pigeon peas
- Clarified butter
- Some mustard seeds
- Some asafetida
- Some salt for taste
Method to prepare dosa:
- At first, wash the dal and rice properly.
- Now add the rice, dale, fenugreek seeds and water together in a bowl and let them soak for 7 to 8 hours.
- Now blend all the ingredients in a blender to make a paste.
- Making a grainy batter will help you make a good dosa.
- Add some soda and salt and keep it in a warm place for around 10 hours.
- Take the curd in a bowl and beat it till it is smooth.
- Add some water to the batter. This will give it enough consistency to coat the spoon.
- Prepare the tava or griddle to make the dosa.
- Now pour some batter in the middle of the tava.
- Make a small round circle with the batter. You can even make a triangle shape.
- Put some oil on the tava to fry the dosa.
- Till the dosa gets crisp, remove it from the tava with a spatula.
Method to prepare Sāmbhar:
- Boil the toor dal with water in a pressure cooker.
- Take onion, tomato and garlic and blend them.
- Use some tamarind juice to give a good taste.
- Now add the required quantity of Sāmbhar masala to it.
- Let the mixture boil properly for a few minutes.
- After boiling, add the cooked dal to it.
- Once all this mixture is boiled, add the prepared paste of onion, tomato and garlic to it.
- Also add salt and asafetida to it.
- Now prepare the mustard seeds in some oil till they sputter and add it to the Sāmbhar.
- Decorate it with coriander leaves and serve with the dosa.